Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Left-handed-right-handed ME!

Actually this entry came in abit late, it should be written on the 13th of last month. But why that day? Because it is the International Left-handers day which is my day then! Heez... Well, I only remember this day when I came across an article on left-handers in today's 'mypaper'. Haha....

To be precise, I was born a left-hander but is no longer a "pure left-hander" as I write with my right hand from young. Well, this doesn't occur naturally. I was being "forced" to write with my right hand by my mum when I was small. Yah, as she is a right hander and has to teach me the writing strokes by holding on to my right hand, over time, I've developed the habit of writing with my right hand. But other than writing, attempts to do other stuff with my right hand simply fail. Haha... Yah, that includes colouring, drawing, painting. Although these tasks seem quite similar to writing, I can never do a good job with my right hand. However, when it comes back to writing, my left hand seems more crippled now. Well, I guess it's because after years of writing with my right hand, I'm now better at it than my master hand does. Haha...

I do agree with the article in 'mypaper'. The society is made more for the right-handers, even basic things like scissors, I'll have difficulty using them with my left hand. Yah, I used to be so clumsy with scissors such that I've cut my own clothes by accident for quite a number of times (which made my mum so angry. wahaha) Maybe because there isn't a "left-handed role model" for me, my chopstick skills sucks for my left hand & even more so for my right hand. I have difficulty using the normal knife as well & I'm often being laughed at by others for holding my chopsticks in such a weird manner and for taking years to cut simple things with the knife. Left-handers being the rare ones in the society are sometimes being seen as disabled. Sigh... Discrimination!

I'm also bad at racket games as my serves are just bad lo. Maybe it's me who's bad at the games rather than because of my hand. wahaha...

But well, after almost 25 years of being a left-hander, I'm already used to the inconveniences. But there's also advantages like I can easily switch to another hand to do things or I can use chopsticks to eat with 1 hand & write with the other. Ahaha...Something to feel happy about being a left hander is that it is believed that we are smarter & more creative compared to right-handers. Erhh...though I don't think I'm that smart lah, maybe it's my mum's fault for turning me into a left-right-handed hybrid. If not I might be smarter lo... Sigh..

No comments: