Monday, January 14, 2008

Bad Day...

Today is a lousy day, bad start of the week. Well, it didn't start off with a lousy day. But it just turned bad towards the end of the work day. It's still the same old people who have got on my nerves. I just can't stand how selfish some people are. For a 8hr slot daily that's available for booking, a good 6 hrs of it has been taken up by 2 of them who belonged to the same team, leaving just 2 hrs of lunch time for others to use it. Ok, well, we do have another similar instrument but it's problematic & just broke down today. For me, it's not an issue to sacrifice my lunch hour for the use of the instrument. But still, I or rather we felt that it was very unfair that people from the same team are bugging the system for the entire day & others are not given a chance to use it. Basically all those queued behind me could not have a slot to use the instrument & have to maybe risk their stuff on the problematic one (Well, think I'm still considered quite kiasu compared to them! Haha....) What's more is that a very kiasu environment has been created in the lab all because of them! In order to book the instrument for next day's use, we are only allowed to do so after 5pm. But the Kiasu them are always sitting & hanging around the 'booking book' way before 5pm and we are never their opponent. Yah, cos we have so much things to do in lab, I think it's a complete waste of time to sit infront of the 'booking book' at like 4.30pm & wait for that half an hour to pass. Really crazy!!

So when I saw that a 6-hr slot was "gone", I tried to reason out nicely with A, but he refused to give way, saying that they need the 6 hrs. I think B saw that I wasn't very happy & after a discussion with A, he gave up 3 hrs of his slot. Nay, not that I'm going to take up his 3 hr slot, ok? I went around to check if anyone else needs the slot and gave it to him. Yes, at least now 4 persons can use the instrument tomorrow instead of 3 & I'm sticking to my slot during lunch hour. Just wish that these people will be more understanding & less selfish to make it a better place for us to work in. I'm not trying to vent my anger or what to anyone with regards to this matter. I just want some fairness in the matter. I'm glad that I got it already. :)

No comments: