Thursday, May 17, 2007

What Am I good at?

Today is yet another busy day (since when am I not busy? haha). Yah, after "wasting" my previous week on NMR training, I need to clear a lot of my experiments ASAP. I wanted to finish up as much as I can by today, even at the expense of skipping/ a short-and-quick lunch today so that I'll have sufficient work to deliver to Bossy during the afternoon meeting. But in the end, the meeting was cancelled coz we ended up looking high & low for a bottle of substance. Stupid! That bottle of thingy kinda of "gone missing" since last July, but Bossy only started looking for it now. We searched the entire lab, in every possible corner, but still didn't manage to find it. Come to the question, "So whose fault is it?" Just because I'm the last person to enter the info into the inventory list, I am said to be responsible. But the thing is, more often than not, Bossy doesn't give clear instructions as to how much of the substance is to be submitted and to whoever. I feel that there is a high chance that he just took away the bottle from my work bench and pass to some other parties without even informing me. Yet now he's questioning me on what happened to the bottle. I doubt anyone would want to steal that bottle of chemical, & I wouldn't swallow it (unless I wanna die soon, it's toxic!) & I not the blur sort who'll be sotong enough to dump it away. I'm glad that I was firm & confident with myself that I was not the last person to handle that bottle. After an afternoon of hoo-ha, the mystery was finally resolved. The bottle was sleeping in the freezer in another department! And the only person who comes in close contact with the department is definitely not us (associates are just test-tube washer, remember? Haha), it's none other than Bossy. In other words, the only way the bottle got to that department must be through Bossy. Well, I'm not trying to push the blame to him or anyone. But sometimes, really feel that he's just not organized and meticulous enough. He expects us to take care of every little detail for him, but the thing is, he's in the front line but we are not. There's many things which we are not aware of what's going on so how are we going to take note of the details for him? Sigh… Anyway, glad that the bottle has been located.

I start to ponder again, so what am I good at? Have I been a good associate so far? Sometimes I just feel that I haven't been doing a good job. Well, not because of this incident which makes me feel this way. In terms of technical knowledge, I know I don't have enough. Organic chemistry is such a diverse area! In terms of lab skills, are mine good enough? Sometimes just feel that I suck at everything. Life don't suck but I guess I suck. Haha!! Suddenly my brain is being flushed with negative thoughts. I'm fine, no worries. Just thinking of what skills I can pick up to make myself more marketable? Hmmm…

No comments: